How to make butter at home: the recipe to prepare an excellenthomemade butter in a simple way and within everyone's reach. Tips for obtaining a healthy and tasty result. Clarified butter and flavored version to satisfy even the most difficult palates.
There are many culinary preparations that require the use of butter. Unfortunately, everyone knows that butter sold in supermarkets is rich in refined polyunsaturated oils, calories, preservatives and other compounds that are not good for the body's health. However, it is also true that it is possible to prepare good quality butter at home.
Once you learn how to make butter at home, you will no longer want to buy commercially available butter that is not healthy at all. Two ingredients are enough to have a soft and delicious butter with which to accompany many other foods. In this regard we will illustrate you how to make butter at home following our recipe
Why is homemade natural butter a healthy food?
The homemade butter possesses is a food with multiple benefits; provides fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. The butter also has conjugated linoleic acid (CLA); experts say it is linked to cancer prevention and weight loss. However, the researchers clarified that conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is mainly present in the milk and butter of cows fed on pasture. Also according to experts, thanks to the lecithin contained in it, butter would protect our cells from oxidative stress and contribute to the good metabolism of cholesterol fats.
In any case, it should be noted that butter, even if homemade, must be consumed in minimal portions and in combination with healthy foods. For completeness, we will explainhow to make butter at homein classic version andhow to make ghee.
How to make butter
To make butter, here's what you need:
- 1/4 of milk cream or fresh cream
- The tip of a teaspoon of salt
At the supermarket you can find long-life cooking cream, usually in the department where you can also find milk. In the refrigerated counter, between mascarpone and margarine, you can find somefresh creamhere! You have to choose this to make butter at home. Alternatively, you can use a milk cream, which is easy to find if you live in countryside areas or in areas where mozzarella and dairy products are characteristic (Salerno, Lecce, Caserta…).
Utensils for making butter
Of course, you don't need themtools for making butter!
To make homemade butter you don't need atoolparticular. You can already find the material in your kitchen cabinets: a large pot, a blender / beater / electric whisk and a colander. If you want to respect tradition, you can use a muslin cloth or natural food canvas and perforated rectangular containers to give the right shape to the homemade butter.
On the web autensil for making butterbut it is nothing more than a cylinder equipped with rotating propellers. You can simulate the movement of the "propellers" with a simple electric whisk, used at the lowest speed.
If you are really "perfect" and like to use "the right tool in the right place", we can recommend the purchase of this natural fabric for separate the butter from the whey.
For all information: Muslin kitchen cloth.
A pack of three reusable cloths (square and 5.5 meters) is offered on Amazon at a price of 10.89 euros. It is certainly better than a colander that will make you disperse some butter.
How to make butter at home
- Put the cream of milk in a fairly large saucepan with a cap, the content should not exceed half its capacity to cope with the increase in boiling volume.
- With the help of a mixer, start whipping the cream vigorously for 10 minutes until you get the desired consistency.
- As you blend, you will notice that a white liquid will detach from the cream as it increases in consistency. You won't need this liquid or whey to make homemade butter. However, if you wish, you can save it for other preparations.
- Continue to blend carefully until the cream has eliminated as much serum as possible
- Once the whey is removed, add a pinch of salt and blend for a few more minutes
- When the cream has thickened, remove all the residual serum with the help of a colander or a muslin cloth that can act as a filter.
- Yours is ready homemade butter.
Once ready, keep your butter in the refrigerator. If stored properly, it can last up to a month.
A few tips to make homemade butter last longer: when cutting, always use a clean knife. Only place butter on disinfected surfaces and worktops. This will keep the butter safe from mold spores. Often, butter makes mold not “because it has expired” but because it is “contaminated” by mold spores present on other foods or on the materials it comes into contact with.
Variants: you can flavor your butter by adding fresh herbs such as thyme, basil, chives, after having finely chopped them.
How to make clarified butter
To make clarified butter, all you have to do is follow the previous recipe and make an additional step, that is, eliminate any foam that forms on the surface of the butter.
- Melt the homemade butter in a double boiler at a low temperature.
- Wait for foam to form on the surface.
- Further filter the liquid butter by removing the foam with a muslin cloth or a very tightly meshed skimmer.
- Move the butter to the refrigerator or freezer.